Endurance Coach

Endurance Coach

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Swim Lessons



Had a productive swim lesson with Kent Pearson (also a TB Coach).  A few technique tweaks, and I'm hoping to cut off another 10 minutes from my Ironman swim.
Kent put it bluntly, "There are about 400 pounds of water in the space right in front of your stroke."  There is no way you are going to pull 400 pounds of water backwards.  Instead, think of pulling your gliding body over your arm and through the water." 

My tasks for the next week?
  • Ride the glide longer with my outstretched non-breathing arm
  • Bilateral breathe every length
  • Focus on hand entering the water in a straight line forward/up from my shoulder (my right hand crosses toward the midline). 
  • Relaxed recovery
I knew all of this, but I didn't really know how I looked.  It is so valuable to have an expert use their eyes to objectively evaluate stroke position.  Now, I am more confident that I am working on the right things.  Next week, we are going to address the pull.

No comments: