Endurance Coach

Endurance Coach

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Off Season Pondering

The off season can be a welcome break from the rigid structure of the competitive season.  Some athletes are very good at relaxing and regenerating.  Others find that they miss the day to day accomplishments of training and working toward goals.  "What should I do today?"  "Should I lose weight or is this the time for a little splurge?"  "Should I do any training?"  "What will happen if I don't run for a week?" 

Or you might find yourself out on a late season bike ride on a beautiful day and wonder why you are riding?  This happened to me last week.  I hadn't ridden simply for pleasure for months.  With a spring and fall Ironman this past year, my purpose filled bike rides started in January.  It was odd to be out there on my tri bike when I didn't need to be. 

And this is exactly why we need an off season.  It is time to rediscover who we are without an upcoming race.  It is time to recconnect with families and clean the garage.  It is time to heal that injury (my darn S-I joint for example) that has been niggling at us for months.  But most of all, we need this to rediscover the joy that we had when we rode that first long ride out on country roads, or that fun in-town running loop that passes by the restaurants or the ski trails this winter.  Go out for dinner, stay out late, read a book, don't run for a week.  Release yourself for a few precious weeks this fall, and you will be better off next year.

No comments: